Saturday, January 14, 2006

Of Desperate Churches, Hurricanes and Blogs

11-23-05
I have recently found an exciting new pasttime: reading random blogs. In doing this I have learned a number of things that I had never known before. For instance, I now know more holiday recipes than I could ever sample. I now know that the Bible is full of mathematical codes that, if deciphered, make it possible to know what Jesus thinks about Social Security and George W. Bush. I have also found one blog devoted solely to the praise and worship of bean bag chairs (actually, it is a very funny blog authored by a newly found blog buddy, Josh). I have also learned that my blog so far fits into a certain category of blogging that I have recently discerned in my blog searches. This category includes all those blogs that are written with an air of feaux superiority in which young men like me try to keep up the appearance of cynicism, intelligence, and self-importance. These blogs are filled with false self-effacing humor, harsh criticism of society, and a high-fallutin refusal to be involved in anything sentimental or self-revealing. If I was serious about keeping my blog in this category I would begin this blog entry by saying something like, "I guess it is time to write my yearly obligatory list of things I am thankful for" or "Though I don't know that I am thankful for anything there are some things that are not as bad as others." But, neither of these beginnings represent how I feel: I am truly thankful. So, today I want to list all the things that I am incredibly grateful for. Four months ago I was working in Abilene as the city's most highly educated paper delivery man resigning myself to the fact that I may be delivering business cards well into my late forties if the job search didn't pick up. I was sure that there would never be a church desperate enough to hire an inexperienced 27 year old to be an associate minister. Jacquie and I both found ourselves praying constantly for at least some sign of interest from a church. Then, suddenly, our prayers were answered in a whirlwind of blessings. Lakewood Church of Christ in Baytown called to offer me a job. Two days later Jacquie had an interview with a school in Baytown. One week later, she was offered a job, we had found an apartment, and my days as a paper cutter were over. Oh, what a week and a half. Now, a few months later I am happy in my job and Jacquie feels settled in enough and happy enough to drop "it might be time to start having a baby" hints every other hour. Things are good. Gratitude is easy this year. One reason is that I have seen quite a bit since I have been in Baytown that makes me thankful. Katrina blew through Louisiana the week before I arrived and I spent a lot of time working with evacuees in Baytown. Then, three weeks later, Katrina's only slightly less ugly step sister, Rita threatened to come straight for Baytown, causing us to be caugth up in a wave of evacuation towards the North. We left thinking that we were going to lose everything we had just moved into our new apartment. It was quite a feeling. Thankfully, our area was spared by the fickle storm who struck slightly to our east, causing all kinds of destruction. I can't tell you how thankful we were but we were also completely aware of the fact that the thinngs we own are just fleeting pleasures. there was something more important. I think I was more thankful for that lesson than anything else. Finally, I am thankful for, of all things, blogs. I know this sounds weird but it has been great catching up with everybody. I feel more connected now than I have in a long time. I have some really incredibly faithful and clever friends. But, on top of that I am also able to write about things that are important to me and in doing that I constantly remind myself of the ways in which I have been blessed. God is good. He has blessed my life with great family, an amazing wife, but more importantly with the promise of his love, provision, and peace. Even in the face of two hurricanes I think the people of the Gulf Coast can be at least somewhat thankful for God's blessings this year. There is a sense of peace here that only comes from above. Thanks for reading. I know it's long but I am a preacher, I'm supposed to be wordy. Soon, I will give more exercise updates. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home