Saturday, January 14, 2006

Happy Little Trees

12-6-05
One of my duties here at Lakewood is to write a weekly bulletin article every Monday. On most Mondays my brain is fried from Sunday so it is hard to come up with good articles every week. But, yesterday I decided to write about one of the strangest memories I have from childhood, my fascination with Bob Ross and The Joy of Painting. I don't know why the show interested me. It was slow and not exciting but it was amazing. He made me feel like I c ould paint beautiful landscapes. As misguided as I now realize that to be it did give me a sense of empowerment. That, and the guy's fro was just exquisite. Tell me you weren't slightly jealous of his hair abilities. The man was a force. Bob also had a way with words. In just a phrase he could make your world feel special. Take for instance these two gems I found. "God was having a good day when He made Alaska" and "Everybody needs a friend" Now, tell me you didn't smile when you read those. You can't help but smile when a guy can speak the truth with so few words. So, feeling nostalgic, I honor Bob Ross, the afro-wearing wisdom-whispering happy tree-painting guru of the PBS art world (small as that world may be). He may be gone but he is not forgotten. So, today on my blog is a chance for you to honor your favorite childhood pop culture hero. Who were you fascinated by when you were a kid?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home