Friday, February 24, 2006

Honoring our Obi Wan Kenobis

I return from ACU's Lectureship with a full spirit, fed by the words of He who is the Bread of Life. This was my first Lectureship as a non-student and I found it to be incredible. The speakers were amazing, the classes were life-changing, but I found my greatest refreshment in the renewing of treasured relationships.

On Sunday night, I was very pleased to see an older couple who were friends of my grandparents years ago, Earl and Sylvia. As I stood speaking with Sylvia, her grandson, Brock, a youth minister and fellow ACU alum walked up and we immediately embraced each other in a hug. As we broke the hug Sylvia said, "It is so special to see my grandchild and Elaine's grandchild hugging on each other." I don't think she could have know how emotional it was for me to hear her say that. In that moment it hit me that I miss my grandmother terribly. Yet, it was so great to feel connected with her for just the briefest moment by speaking to someone else who knew and loved her.

As the week drew on I continued to reflect on all those people like my grandmother whose love and support have been so formative for me in my life. I have been blessed with so many wonderful mentoring relationships, relationships that have called me to be a better person. I have two incredible parents who have taught me so much. I have friends that I would have never dared to ask for for fear that I was asking too much. I have an unbelievably patient and supportive wife. I thank God for each of them. I also thank God for my time in Abilene where I had a chance to see many of my mentors again.

I was amazed at the number of people in Abliene that I saw who I still adore for their influence in my life. Saturday, we spent a lot of time with the Wallaces so that we could see Matt and Nikki. However, while I was there I couldn't help but thinking of all the things that that wonderful family has done for meand Jacquie It was so great to reconnect with all of them.

Sunday we spent time with our old small group, a multi-generational group that was nothing short of miraculous in our lives. It was so good to see Floyd and Kay and Terry and Brenda and Scott and Joy and Dan and Laura and Sara. These people changed our lives. Through the rest of the week I saw so many people who served me as mentors, whether they knew it or not. David Wallace, Mark Hamilton, David Wray, Jordan Hubbard, Floyd, Terry, Matt W., Chris Blair, Derran and so many others are just a few of the men who taught me what it is to be a better man, husband, father, teacher, minister, and especially a better follower of Christ. Thank you all for who you are and what you have done.

I return thinking about all the men and women who make us who we are. So, today on this blog you can have your chance to honor your mentors. List them, Tell about them, Thank God for them, whatever. It is your choice.

Oh, and keep those word verification definitions coming. I promise to put an entry on here compiling the best so far. I have been amazed at how creative they have been.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Charles and Darlene Colston. I can't seem to get them off my mind lately. They serve homeless children in Niarobi, Kenya. They are on my mind daily.

It was great to see you two too.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I suck. We were also there at ACU and I feel like a smutz for not hooking up with you.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Plotting Kindness,
Dwayne

9:28 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

What a great post and a great reminder about those men. I would also add Risse to the people that mentored me as well as Bob Strader. What a great place!

I can't believe we are old enough to be the people that return for Lectureship! Man, where did the time go?

I am also so confident that in 10 years I will be going to lectureship to hear you speak.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Brock Paulk said...

Blessings, my friend! Great to see you at the Lectures, and even great to have that moment with our grandmothers.

BTW, my word verification is MYVIKCCU - which stands for "Man, you visually intimidate kids at church of christ universities..."

2:12 PM  
Blogger Shanta said...

Spruce- what a wonderful outpouring of love and respect for such deserving folks! I count you among those I aspire to be more like. Not even kidding.

egcsncyq: a linear charting which illustrates the degree to which your EKG and EEG tests are in sync.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Growing up, it was my Mom --she's an amazing woman and I'm so thankful for her influence.

At school, Cynthia Cooke and the Trevathans. Without a doubt, these folks encouraged me, shaped me and really just loved on me.

What a blessing.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home